Another quick post to run through the migration steps to move from VCSA 6 to VCSA 6.5. I know this is only a simple one but I find it’s sometimes best to run through things again.
Mount the VCSA 6.5 ISO, and then browse the iso to (driveletter):\vcsa-ui-installer\win32\Installer.exe
Once the installer opens select Upgrade:
As the next page explains, what we are going to do is deploy a new appliance, with a temporary IP address and the migrate the data to the new appliance and then we complete the upgrade
Accepts the EULA
Connect to the source vCenter
Fill out the account details, and the address details for the target ESXi host or target vCenter.
Once you click next, the application will start validating, you should note here when I did this the validation process took quite a while but that was probably due to the performance of the lab I am running
Once validation completes, select the target ESXi host or vCenter to deploy the new vCenter too
If you choose to deploy to a vCenter you can select the datacentre and folder the new appliance should reside
You then need to select a compute resource to deploy the appliance too
Select your deployment size
Select the datastore where the appliance should be deployed to
Select the network and the give the appliance a temporary IP configuration
Review your settings and then click finish to start deployment
Its not the speediest in my lab but it does get there eventually
Oh no disaster the deployment failed…….the below error was pulled from the logs
error: sourcePrecheck: error in getting source Info: ServerFaultCode: A general system error occurred: vix error codes = (1, 4294967292).
Turns out its nothing too sinister…the root password on the source vCenter had expired, fix that and carry on.
Now connect to the source vCenter server, that we are upgrading/migrating from
Oh no another disaster……turns outs there was a duplicate portgroup name, change it and crack on see the article below for more details
Select the data you want to migrate across to the new appliance
Review the settings and click Finish to start the migration
I must admit mine took ages, again this is due to the poorly spec if this particular lab anyway hope this helps someone out I left the errors in just so you can see what I experienced when running through my upgradeby